Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Poem Again

9. Spring


NOTHING is so beautiful as spring—
When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush;
Thrush’s eggs look little low heavens, and thrush
Through the echoing timber does so rinse and wring
The ear, it strikes like lightnings to hear him sing;
The glassy peartree leaves and blooms, they brush
The descending blue; that blue is all in a rush
With richness; the racing lambs too have fair their fling.

What is all this juice and all this joy?
A strain of the earth’s sweet being in the beginning
In Eden garden.—Have, get, before it cloy,
Before it cloud, Christ, lord, and sour with sinning,
Innocent mind and Mayday in girl and boy,
Most, O maid’s child, thy choice and worthy the winning.


Gerard Manley Hopkins

Tonight Mr. Hopkins is bringing tears. I love and am so grateful for language. It traps us and ruins us and is laden with imperfection (wears man's smudge and shares man's smell) and isolates us, whose only deepest desire is connection and understanding; but when it works, and in practiced hands, what a glorious thing.

Also for spring. Even under snow, I'm feeling stirrings again that I thought I'd grown out of. Hope again.

Also making me cry:
1.
2.

(I haven't watched the videos, just listened to the songs real loud repeatedly.) (#2 is pretty awful. Just listen.)

4 comments:

Amanda said...

BEAUTIFUL. And amen.

Rachel said...

Thank you for sharing. I think you are optimistic for calling this season spring. Have you looked outside today?

Aside: Maps was the first (and only?) song I illegally downloaded. It was years ago, pre-iTunes, and I'd heard the song on the radio and HAD TO HAD TO own it. The only place I could find it was some weird, assuredly illegal, now defunct site. I agree: the song is absolutely wrenching. I love it.

And I bought it again on iTunes :)

kaila said...

much appreciated.

Unknown said...

i got lost driving home today and it started snowing and that arcade fire song came on and suddenly it was the perfect thing to be lost on a freeway one hour from home with the snow blowing everywhere and that song loud and perfect all around me. thank you for sharing this, and dear gerard.