Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"Spring" Break

Ok, so there was the blizzard. Otherwise my break so far has been fantastic. A rundown.

1. Mary and Martha. Alea and I have been kicking around the idea of starting a catering company. The first logical step: dinner party "tastings." We spent all of Friday prepping and cleaning for the thing and it was a huge success--I think this is safe to say--despite my very modestly outfitted kitchen and, like, the cats. Hugest successes: Neufchatel+pesto+strawberry won tons. (Trust us.) Alea's cardamom cream puffs with orange filling. Amazing. I ate like 20. And it was lovely to have friends over and I forgot how much I love entertaining. Or the feeding part of it at least. I left the rest of the partiers to chat while I buried myself in the kitchen. Large groups, even of people that I love, make me real nervous some times. Still. Weird.



Here are mini meatloafs with mashed potato toppers. We're so clever.

2. The first official act of spring break came at 6:30 am on Saturday when my body said "wake up we're late!" And I said "nope, spring break," curled up in my flannel sheets, and went to bed for another 3 hours." So gorgeous.

3. Movies watched: Transformers, Kung Fu Panda, half of Dr. Strangelove.

4. I watched two of these movies with this lovely darling sister of mine who lives in Idaho. Her house is adorable, her (BYU-I) campus is also adorable (mini-sized) and she's really one of the kindest, most considerate girls I know. (I'm sorry your whole house smells like onions.)


(She's the one with hair.)

5. The drive to and from. I love driving. I love wide open places (Dixie Chicks be damned) and having to sit quiet and driving through this:



(the corner of Rexburg that is all mowed fields right now) and the mist and mountains of Southern Idaho/Northern Utah when Estelle (the new Ipod) knows exactly what to play. (i.e. DeBussy next to Cabas next to The Who. Perfect.)

6. Today, in the midst of finishing many busy adult things (taxes! oil change! thank you notes! laundry!) I was driving. And it was 10 am and I love being on the road mid-morning. Totally subversive.

7. I have 4 days left. So. Deeply. In. Love.

4 comments:

Makayla Steiner said...

Kjerstin... I really kind of like that hair. Really. Yours. (And hers too).

Seagulljaap said...

Here's another cup of love for your short hair.

Miss E said...

I am glad you like my house. Thank you for apologizing about the onion smell. It is still there and may always be there. At least now it smells like onion flowers. Bleh.

mlh said...

Hey, I didn't know M was in BYUI. Awesome. I heart her.

Also, don't go into catering. It's one thing to be an excellent cook, but it's quite another to deal with the pain-in-the-neck that is small business ownership. Some people, I guess, have the competitive knack for it, but I may be bitter because the always-delicious Dew in S. of Campus consistant suffers from bad business choices (why are they closed on Saturdays? how does a sandwich shop run out of bread ? How can they have lost a receipt I told them to hold onto and the owner happen to be out of town?)

Grr.

But the vietnamese sandwiches are great!