Saturday, March 15, 2008

Borders

There's something to be said about borders, limits, boundaries, call them what you will. Something about only eating cake for dessert, about getting your sleep all in one go instead of trying to make it up by napping, about sitting down and conscientiously eating meals instead of munching around all day long, about only checking your blog or facebook or email at certain times and not ad nauseum throughout the day.
I've been thinking a lot about limitations lately because I'm in transition--all of my limitations are in question, in the process of being reevaluated. Because I'm trying to hold together two completely different lifestyles (I'm a college kid who gets up at 5:30, dresses business casual, does the put-together enthusiastic role model thing, then starts my second day up on campus), and working really hard to make everything work I'm constantly rethinking: is this the most efficient/enjoyable/enriching way to be doing this?
In addition, I'm trying to figure out what my priorities are and how much time and energy they all require. So, yes, it's important to me that my body stays healthy, but is it important enough to give up handfull of hours to yoga every week? Could I be using that time to do something more productive?
And this: I think that there's a lot of truth in boundaries. We're asked to keep the sabbath holy. We set aside that day as a different day where we do different things and forget about the rest of our worries. There's something deeply edifying in that. I love fasting for the same reason: a day or two a month we conscientiously shift our focus, tell our lovely bodies that they are not getting the food they like so much so that we can think in a different way, about different things. And when that break-fast meal comes, how sweet it is, how much we appreciate it.
As a girl who distrusts duplicity, who would like everyone to know and love each other, who is not good at saying no to good things, I struggle with boundaries: with making them and with keeping them. And I'm starting to feel it, a certain messiness, a certain lack of control (which I hate), a certain shallowness in my commitment to things and my efforts in them. And the week will start again and I will start again...

3 comments:

David Grover said...

Sometimes I feel like seven days is a little too long for a week, that one Sunday is a little too far from the next and I run out of steam before then.

Scott Morris said...

lovely. good luck.


I was just mentioning to someone yesterday, though, how much I love Sundays. I don't even think about school/work on Sunday, and it is such a great break.

mlh said...

Yes. In agreement. The sabbath is a beautiful thing. I used to think that homework on Sunday was no big deal, but its' really more about not stressing out on Sunday, whichis great once in a while.