Thursday, March 13, 2008

I heart Kenneth

So, no disrespect to Mr. Branagh, who I adore with many sections of my heart, but what's with the trend to misread Hamlet? I understand that it's a demanding role, but I think that no adaptations of the play have really captured/capitalized on the true creepiness that Shakespeare wrote into the script.
1. We never get the adolescent Hamlet, and I swear he is. I think that Olivier, Branagh, and Gibson have had to go to great lengths to dramatize the role of Hamlet because the character is not supposed to be a middle-aged man. We're looking at a teenager here. I think the drama of the play makes much more sense in this context. If I were to cast the part, I'd cast Hamlet as an oily, peach-fuzzed, just-at-the-ripest-point-of-puberty kid. I think this would explain his madness, it would add depth/creepiness to the Ophelia thing (who would be like 12, which would work if my next point were true, wait a sec), and would make the Oedipal references that much more wrenching. Oooh, I can see it now.
2. Aren't we supposed to be in medieval Denmark? Can't we play that up? Gibson's production did a decent job, but I didn't think it took advantage of the dark ages thing--there was altogether too much sunlight and too many fresh-swept surfaces. I'm imagining dark and dank and cold and dirty. A place where a 12 year old Ophelia could definitely be taken advantage of by a tribal prince.
Gross, yes; dirty, yes. But right, right?

5 comments:

mlh said...

(I just bookmarked you)

I love that little lipless man! I think the main character of any Branagh movie is going to be just about Branagh's age. It's like how Woody Allen's been playing opposite 30 year old women for the past 40 years.

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

Or 20 year old women. He has a thing for Scarlet Johannsen lately which gives me the absolute shivers.

xister said...

Brother Branagh actually irritates me a little. He has great diction, but no levels. Well, maybe two: whisper so you don't understand and shouting. In short, it makes me fall asleep.

A 15 year-old Hamlet? Hmm. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It would start feeling like Lord of the Flies. You may as well make Ophelia be 8. It would also make the Yorrick scene a little weird. He would've only been dead a year or so. (Which I guess would add to the gruesome irony that he is going for there but . . .)

I think that he'd have to be at least 17.

Michelle said...

I saw a Hamlet at the Old Vic with an Ophelia who was 16 and a Hamlet that was 18 and Gertrude was that woman who plays Lucy Steele in Sense and Sensibility. Hamlet was so skinny I was afraid he would break, plus he wore all black. Gertrude was clothed in an all white tennis uniform and that one scene was way different that I have ever seen it done. Ophelia looked like a Catholic school girl.
I was sufficiently creeped.

JKC said...

Branagh: good at comedy; bad at most drama; good in Henry V.

Hamlet: definitely a teenager. I'm totally with you on that one. It should be more emo. Actually, I think the Ethan Hawke version comes closest on this front, among the film versions. Not to mention that Bill Murray as Polonius and Steve Zahn as Rosencrantz were genius casting decisions.