Saturday, November 1, 2008

Waldo

No, I will not tell you what's going on in my life. I will not give a summary of plans or goals or even guess at where I might be next week. I have no idea. I was supposed to move to Provo today, and alternately was contemplating staying in my apartment; but no, I'm lounging on the obscenely comfortable queen-size in my mom's basement. Moving took 2 hours because I had a fantastic crew (Anne, Connie, and Dave, thankyouthankyouthankyou, you're brilliant and so kind) and, oh, because I was already entirely packed from September's "I need to get the hell out of here" kick.

Those of you who I've chatted with know that I'm planning on graduate school. Or that I'm adoring my job and think I'm going to stick around. Or that I'm moving to Mexico next week. All or none of these things could be true. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I may be talking big, but I reserve the right to change my mind now. Or now. That's the way life is right now. I'm glad, too, that it's right now. That is, I'm only responsible for providing a stable environment for my students, and as far as they know I'm made out of granite. (It sparkles, after all, in the sun.)

But the usual potpourri:

Staying/going. As I was pulling up my square-foot garden today (the peas were just about coming...) I was thinking about gardening. I love it. I loved my little patch of green, as well as the delicious salads that it kept producing (soo bummed about the weakling basil--can't stand 3 inches of snow, huh? Pansy). In my garden I will plant tomatoes, carrots, peas, herbs (basil, cilantro, thyme, parsley and a couple of grab-bag--the kind that you see at Lowe's and have to try), nasturtia, radishes, spinach, egg plant, squash. etc. I'll cook delicious things and serve them to good friends in a white kitchen with big windows and be so healthy and happy.
On the other side of my brain, though, is a list of places I want to see before I die. Buenos Aires, India (I haven't narrowed the subcontinent down yet), Bogota, Toronto, Prague, Istanbul, Hong Kong, Oahu, the Amalfi Coast, Morocco. etc. I'm not sure how to balance these two desires.
Contemplating them I feel extraordinarily human.

This I Believe. I managed to use this finally in my class. Next year it will be better, and the show may be featured more prominently as part of my curriculum. I just remembered that I believe things. I've worked really hard to construct for myself a foundation of belief, but am usually too busy trying to feather out the other side of the argument and the implications to remember that foundation.
That is: I've been really stressed lately trying to relate to people who believe different things than I do. I've been overwhelmed by how relative this all is and must be to coexist. This careful reevaluation of what I believe has been enormously stabling. I hope to get a post out soon.

I love my family. You are geniuses.

Happy hardworking weekend. Lesson plan! Daylight savings!

0 comments: