Saturday, March 6, 2010

There will be no other end of the word.

A Song on the End of the World
--Czeslaw Milosz

On the day the world ends
A bee circles a clover,
A fisherman mends a glimmering net.
Happy porpoises jump in the sea,
By the rainspout young sparrows are playing
And the snake is gold-skinned as it should always be.

On the day the world ends
Women walk through the fields under their umbrellas,
A drunkard grows sleepy at the edge of a lawn,
Vegetable peddlers shout in the street
And a yellow-sailed boat comes nearer the island,
The voice of a violin lasts in the air
And leads into a starry night.

And those who expected lightning and thunder
Are disappointed.
And those who expected signs and archangels' trumps
Do not believe it is happening now.
As long as the sun and the moon are above,
As long as the bumblebee visits a rose,
As long as rosy infants are born
No one believes it is happening now.

Only a white-haired old man, who would be a prophet
Yet is not a prophet, for he's much too busy,
Repeats while he binds his tomatoes:
There will be no other end of the world,
There will be no other end of the world.

When we were discussing feminism in 452 (for just a minute) we played a Prisoner's Dilemma kind of game--boys against girls (men? women? we're adults I guess). The kind of thing that if both groups agree, they get 2 points, if both disagree they get one point, but if one agrees and one disagrees the disagreeing one gets 3 points. And there are three rounds. I may have written about this. In our class, we agreed to agree twice, then agreed to disagree (in part I think because I grew up playing games with Jeremy who is the most strategically ruthless person I've ever, you know, played games with so I insisted that we not let the men in the class to convince us to agree only to betray us). Dr. Muhlestein applauded our success, then told us that the groups rarely tie, that usually the women "trust" the men in the last round and get hosed.

The idea he was demonstrating was this idea of the last round. Both groups were kept honest in the first two rounds because they knew there was another round coming and they needed to seem trustworthy to maximize their points, but in the last round anything goes--there's no chance for revenge. I'm trying to remember what the real-world application of this was: something about property rights and women being subjugated. But I've been thinking about this also in my life.

I've been working really hard to come up with a personal justification for working hard (or at all, depending on the day), based not on threats of punishment or banishment, but on some sort of internal motivation. What this means is flipping around a lot of my inherited conceptions of authority and self-worth and God. I've spent most of my life doing stuff (poorly, actually--just well enough to count it done, right?) so I don't get in trouble I think. And that's of course a terrible way to live.

What I've been realizing lately (as my schedule's loosened up, as my academic success is so much more/less/different than grades) is that I'm waiting for the final round, for the inevitable, threatened punishment. But aside from a kind of hellish couple of weeks last December, aside from the awkward meetings with professors in the halls--because we both know that I was trying to pull a fast one--nothing really happened.

I'm in the same boat spiritually too--trying to push boundaries, to see if God really is so vengeful as he pretends to be. But he's not. He's not that interested in punishing me, and it's no skin off his nose if I waste my life waiting for him to smite me. There is no final round.

Or rather: every day is the final round. I'll fail at this and try again (maybe better?) later, but it comes again to presentness. To doing things well because that feels much better than slacking them off. Because there's no reason not to do them well. Because what else should I be doing right now? Not because if I do poorly I'll be punished but because there is no point in doing something than doing it. My life/education/salvation is today. There will be no other end of the world.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I've been thinking a lot about motivation for working hard at things academic, spiritual, and personal lately too, but more tangentially in terms of revision. I am beginning to realize how much of this life is about revision and how much I have been resisting it my whole life. I've always been a good student without having to do much for it, always had a relatively strong testimony of the Gospel without having to fight for it as much as other people seem to, always been decent at random things like music, sports, etc. without a ton of practice. Never been too lonely as far as friends go.

But now I want to be a writer, a really good one, and writing means writing some and revising much more. And I want to be a great teacher, which means reworking lesson plans and refining pedagogy again and again, among other things. And I want to be a better friend, which means apologizing and forgiving often. And I want to be a disciple of Christ, which means I must try to be better every day and repent when I fail again and again. In this way every day is an act of revision, I think.

So even though I've never liked revising before, because it is hard work, I'm very slowly growing to appreciate and even be excited about the revision process in all aspects of my life. And I think that when I see each day as an act of revision, I feel more motivated to work hard, though I'm still unsure of the reason why, I guess. But then I'm not working hard because of internal or external pressures so much as because the chance to revise each day is awesome--I would hate to turn in a rough draft of my life as I have almost always done with homework. This is kind of corny, but I wonder what you'd think about all it?

Jen said...

Ah, Kjerstin... I am *so* looking forward to our lunch next week. You've hit on so many things here that I've been mulling over, pondering, kicking around, and sitting with over the past few weeks/months/years.

(Love the poem, as well!)

daine said...

Lovely, ke.

I have always had problems with the notion of an end of the world. It's never really made much sense to me why we make such a big deal about it.

It's not that I really believe or disbelieve in the notion of an end of the world any more or less than everything else in the gospel canon. My problem is just that believing in an end to the world doesn't change anything pragmatically. If nobody knows when the end will be, and we're simply told to be ready whenever it comes, it seems to me that we might as well just focus on being good all the time and ignore the fact that an end will ever come.

Besides all of that, the end has erroneously been prophesied by so many people over so many years, I don't see any practical reason to trust ANYBODY anymore about if or when the world will really come to an end. If so many people have cried wolf, so many prophecies are explained away by metaphor, and so many people are probably not worth trusting under any circumstances, I just usually tune out whenever the topic comes up.