Thursday, February 25, 2010

Love=

I was having a conversation with my friend the other day about love. Her point: there are a lot of emotions we conflate with love, and they change as our relationships deepen or we get older or whatever. The thing that caught my eye/mind though was the tie between love and gratitude.

Backstory:

God. What does is mean to love God? How does God show his love for me? I've been really troubled and perplexed by this lately: uncertain, uncertain, uncertain.

Gratitude: I don't know, I've been working (really hard) to be grateful for what I have. I know that it, like, makes life easier and happier and more hopeful. I'm terrible at this.

And just love in general. I have a group of friends I love and know and talk to regularly, but beyond that what does it mean to care about people? (I've mentioned this: I may be mildly sociopathic. ha ha.)


So. This friend of mine mentioned that she's been just overwhelmed with gratitude for her husband lately, and that that's what love means to her. I related in this: my best of friends are the ones who surprise and delight me with how fabulous/smart/thoughtful/perfect they are. I am constantly reminded how grateful I am for them. The relationships of mine that have died I've smothered with ingratitude: compared the object to others, overlooked strengths, taken the relationship for granted.

There's probably more here to be said. But. For now.

1 comments:

Jon Ogden said...

I've been wrestling with this same issue for a long time now, too.

Here's one thought, related to yours:

You know that kiddie song that talks about how reverence is love? I thinks it's right, if we define reverence as "having awe for the Other." It seems impossible to be in awe of the Other without loving (i.e. strongly liking) it/him/her/God.

But how to feel awe for the Other . . . that's what I'm working on. One answer is to list reasons for gratitude.