Monday, April 12, 2010

interventionist god (kind of a poem)

I was once driving up Little Cottonwood Canyon with a friend. We were listening to Nick Cave and to this song and the drive and the night and the song and the friend saved my life:

I believe in love. And I know that you do too.

This post is about how I believe in an interventionist god. In a really actual and literal sense. I believe in a god that performs big and small and unnoticed and lifechanging miracles every day and all the time.

I'm writing because this week has been full of tiny miracles--miracles I didn't deserve, miracles I demanded, miracles I didn't know I needed, you know?

And I think too, that God knows if you believe in an interventionist god or not, and I don't know that it matters that much ultimately, it matters mostly that you act according to your experience and belief etc etc.

For me, God is there, getting into my business. Answering questions and helping me solve my problems and reminding me again and again that I know so little and am loved so much.

More, later, perhaps on learning how to forgive God and relearning how to trust him. Or maybe not. Night.

2 comments:

Katie E. said...

Kjerstin, that concept from Nick Cave on a night like tonight was a miracle for me. Thank you. You've given me hope on a day when I absolutely needed it.

Katie E. said...

And P.S. I started making a list of real love songs after I attended one too many weddings playing the same sappy songs. "Into My Arms" just made my list.