Tuesday, April 27, 2010

On Fun

I'm belaboring this. How can I tell? Because having fun is the opposite of sitting in your mom's living room writing about fun. And the opposite of spending all day thinking about what it means to have fun. And spending a good chunk of the evening at the mall trying to think fun. Are those pink+leopard+sequin gladiator sandals fun? Are blisters and accenting my terrible ankles also fun? Do those two things cancel each other out probably?

I, as you may know/be able to tell am not a particularly fun person. (Not asking for validation here. Thanks though. :) ) I've been coming to terms with this for the last couple of years. I'm occasionally funny, occasionally spontaneous (which is the only real way to be spontaneous, right? People who are constantly spontaneous lose something of spontaneity? Anyway), occasionally adventurous, but I'm not the girl people call up when they're looking for a good time (read that how you may).

Today I was talking with a prof about my thesis--informally, waiting for the elevator. He said: Have fun. Have fun have fun have fun. Doing my thesis and this summer and, I think I can extrapolate, just generally. And of course I got all flustered (because that's what serious people do when someone they respect tells them they should be doing something they're not, even if that something is having fun) and set my mind to it.

And then I was on campus and hit with this heavy visceral wave of boredom. I watched five people leave the library wearing khakis and pastel tops. Boring. I bought a book (The Postcolonial Reader. I wish it were more fun.) I said 0 clever things during my class (several smart things, none of them clever).

Attempts at having fun today: Graham Canyon+sugar cone (delicious, but fun?), following a toddler through Zurcher's party supply store. This, actually, was very fun. (Ball! Purple! Yellow!) Dinner with Annie and Simon was fun.

Then I bought mom sandals (Born. Strappy. I am SO boring.) And nothing flairy or fun else. And now I'm here thinking about fun. And what that means. And what it's not. What is fun? What do I think is fun?

Which ties into another thing I've been thinking about which is that my life is now. I keep thinking that at some point my life will start when, in fact, my life is now. I just contributed to NPR because my life is now, and I will probably never be fabulously wealthy. I'm pretending to try and eat right because I'm not going to wake up one day grown up and responsible and healthy. I'm trying to enjoy the things I do (rushing around Utah Valley trying to redecorate my new place) because the things I do are my life. And I'm terrible at this.

Anyway. I'm going to stop writing now because I am soo bored I can hardly keep my eyes open. And if you've stuck with my this long I applaud your endurance. (10 points if you comment with the Joe vs the Volcano quote I'm thinking of. 100,000,000 points if you can find someone to sponsor a makeover complete with steamer trunks and an exotic destination.)

Love, ke.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Is part of becoming a Real Adult realizing that Life Is Now? I think I keep realizing that every day, but then I never change anything. I keep expecting to wake up healthy, wealthy, and wise. Sometimes I think being an adult is overrated, but it's reality, so I think I'd better embrace it.

alea said...

this is strange to me. We are so similar and yet, all I do it seems is a pursuit of fun. I mean, frustration, too, but there's a lot of fun in there. It's fun being alive, eating tasty things, complaining about how hard your life is, going shopping, sharing things you've read with people and so on.

I guess what I'm wondering is what fun looks like to you? Because for me, if I enjoy it, it's fun, even better if it involves doing not-work, but even still, as long as I'm happy, I'm having fun.

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

alea. This is an interesting/important point: what am I expecting? What do I think is fun anyway? I'll get back to you on that.

[Morgan] said...

i read your blog often. i feel like confessing that right now. mostly because i like this post, particularly.

life is now? now?!
wait! i'm not ready!
i woke up one day, like a month ago, and thought to myself, "being an adult is not really all that it's cracked up to be."
seriously. i mean, responsibility, knowledge, experience?
i want careless, naive, and unsuspecting back for a day or two.

i feel like i never have "fun". but actually, that's not really true. it's not that what i'm doing is not fun. it's that so much of what i do these days (as an adult) is the same from day to day. thus losing it's fun-ness.

i thought one day i would wake up and feel like an adult. not true. i didn't even feel 26 by the time i turned 27. what will happen at 50? 81?

now i'm just rambling.

fun is overrated. do what you enjoy and enjoy what you do.
now that fun.

[Morgan] said...

is fun.
now that IS fun.

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

everything is more fun when you're there. i mean it.