Monday, January 14, 2008

Musica

Today I was walking home from school with Stella the ipod. I was all bundled and cold and my backpack was heavy, but I'm so content with my life right now. So I was happy. As I was passing behind the indoor tennis courts Valenica by the Decemberists comes on and suddenly I was pulled back from the frigid winter to the first week of last fall semester. Also walking home, though then it was oppressively hot and I was not as optimistic about my just-beginning semester and I was in love with a boy who I'd been very unfair to and wasn't sure how it was going to end. Valencia though, Valencia pulled me out of my funk and I waited for the lights to change and basked in the heat and exhaust and danced a little in my head. The Decemberists which he gave me actually with a warning: you will love them or hate them. Then Sons and Daughters which was icing on the cake and left me overbrimming with hope.

The stickiness of songs. Last winter it was Penelope by Pinback. I was walking from my interview with Penny my boss. She'd told me that I was getting a promotion and a raise and I loved my classes and almost almost over another boy and I was walking down the stairs in the atrium and Penelope was perfect.

This summer: The whole of Negotiations and Love Songs. Riding my bike to campus from Orem
Italy: St. Judy's Comet, the Cinque Terra on the first night in a sweeet hotel upgrade; Sink to the Bottom, Lucca walking frantically to a loud and trendy internet cafe (Amanda was sleeping on the grassy top of the medieval wall);
3rd Grade basement: Bohemian Rhapsody and Save the Best for Last (Vanessa Williams) :)
9th Grade: Going the Distance, first assembly
10th Grade: Truly, Madly, Deeply; Jason Fuller
Sophomore year: The Bends at 3 am
Winter '03: Amy Mann, The Bends, reading until I was nauseated on a wicker chair in an overheated basement
Paris: Hail to the Thief in my hostel bed
Junior year: Beulah, washing dishes or walking home in the dark
Ajapniak: Breath of Heaven, lying in bed on a P-day--turning point #1
Summer '06: Californication. Really just the Chili Peppers in general (though Roadtripping was Micah from the summer of my Freshman year and Under the Bridge is 3rd grade basement)
Christmas '06-7: Lina's mix, riding up 9th east on her bike (to check proofs)

So.

5 comments:

David Grover said...

Cuz if I can't sing my boy to sleep it makes your famous daddy look so dumb.

Did you know that "Hearts and Bones" was written about him and Princess Leia?

Amanda said...

Oh, that wall. Rounded ground, sunspotted, sundappled grass, and waking up to a crown of flowers and a parade of protestors and candy. Bellissima.

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

Oh Lucca!
Also, Paul Simon dated Princess Leia? Seriously?

David Grover said...

Not dated—married. Check it out here.