Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Thunderstorm!

So today was my first day on the job at Orem city. It was amazing, I think this summer is going to be fantastic. Some highlights: a) the sexual harassment training video. Mmm, there was much objectification of women because apparently women are symbols of our society's rampant sexuality? Otherwise awkward and hilarious. b) I went up to the Orem cemetery to do a driving test. Not only did I get free homemade salsa, I got a look at their casket-shaped grill. Yes, they have a bbq that is shaped like a casket hidden in their garage. Looks like it gets some pretty good use too... c) I'm working at Mt. Timpanogos park. This is the park built for the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival. It's very lovely, rather grassier than not. I work with Aaron and Brian who are super nice. d) I got (get) to drive a Kubota tractor guy. It's amazing, I wish I could drive him around parks all day long. e) I got free t-shirts. Granted, they're my summer wardrobe, but they're great and free! Also, I got work gloves and safety glasses.
Anyway. I'm excited for the job. We cleaned bathrooms today and power-sprayed a pavilion. :)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

And this is why it is so necessary for writers to get jobs other than teaching: material. A casket shaped grill. Are you kidding. I think that is the punch line in a short story.

And e) I am extremely glad to know public bathrooms actually do get cleaned. Yay.

Scott Morris said...

That is a lovely park! There is a letterbox there, which if you find and look through you will most certainly find a squirrel-like stamp.

I hope that you get a chance to use that grill often and frequently.

Erin The Great said...

So... Where exactly are you working now? It's sounds very interesting whatever it is.