Friday, July 25, 2008

Pioneer weekend thank you

This weekend I'm in Idaho visiting my brother's family. I meant also to get some work done but so far have finished the last five pages of Gilgamesh and decided to play TMBG Mesopotamians for my class (I believe very deeply that Ashurbanipal doesn't get enough face time period. Part of his title was "emperor of the universe" for pete's sake and he built the most remarkable library in the history of the world-to-date). That's about all. But, the weekend has more than made up for it:
1. I've bonded with nephews. Since they're in Idaho we don't get to hang out a lot (I got in late Wednesday night and was met by unpleasant surprise), but we're pals. Pals=they use me as a climbing wall/oak tree/surf board and I love it.
2. I got to go shopping (World Market!) with Molly. We bought white wine which made an incredible white-saucy dish and we did Caprese salad. Very very lovely.
3. Molly, Jeremy, and I just played Wii Fit for a couple of hours. I think the ski jump was my forte. We worked up a Mii though (cartoony avatar thing) that is creepily accurate. It has the side smirk and everything. If it were materially created and in my bedroom I would be afraid of it coming to life nights.
4. I bought adult things: a kick-a 16-piece stainless steel cookware set. It's very beautiful. And a pannini grill. Did I post about my sandwich bar dinner? Deli meats and cheeses plus luxe condiments (hummus, avocado, mustard) plus grill=fabulous. Pretty sure my life isn't ever going to be the same. (Pretty sure I've used the = twice so far this post.)
Party.

The last couple of months I've been pretty seriously reevaluating my motivations for wanting to get married (why is it a good idea again), and for family's role as an eternal construct, for the point of all of these relationships. I was feeling very much like the effort and drama might not be worth it, but in response I've been given these fabulous opportunities to hang out with family. I love these guys. I feel myself here--at home. I've rarely been so conscious of the value of and satisfaction that comes with and through family.

1 comments:

Emily Fox King said...

thanks for the trip, you're always so pleasant, and if not in the "chipper" sort of way, you're honest, and that's what I like best about you. thanks.