Sunday, August 24, 2008

Scrambled Eggs and Toast

So it's Sunday morning and I just found out I have nothing to do until 1 this afternoon: oh free time and the plaintive call of the blogosphere.

First, some catch up. Things I've found and I love during my break:

1. Quaker Oatmeal Squares: great crunch, not as sweet (but just as flavorful) as, say, Cinnamon Toast Crunch (the last cold cereal I ate with any regularity), and they have like 5 grams of fiber per serving. A fantastic compromise between Fruity Pebbles and All-Bran.

2. "You Don't Know Me." Ben Folds and Regina Spector? Are you kidding me? Plus it's pop magic. If it came out only a little earlier I think it could've been this summer's defining tune. (On the other hand, maybe it's good it didn't...I'm about ready to kick "Viva la Vida" in the kneecap.)

3. Ice water. So, not a particularly original discovery (though I did have a stomach-sinking revelation at one point--that if the end ever comes and electricity fails us there will be no [pebbled] ice. I shudder involuntarily every time I dwell on this eventuality) but as I tend toward compulsion, an influential one. I invested in a real water bottle (BPA free) earlier this month, found out that most gas stations and Target don't mind if you borrow their ice, and have been sipping pretty ever since. One of my healthier twitches, if I do say so myself.


Otherwise, many things have changed: I moved. I live in a quiet little neighborhood near Baskin Robins in Orem. Still adjusting, but this morning with my blinds open and my fan going I feel very content.

Also, school started. The first week was simultaneously exhausting and exhilarating. The panic I'm feeling right now is that I don't have anything to teach anyone and couldn't if I tried. In calmer moments I remember that I'm pretty ok at this. I had a good talk with my boss (the Headmaster, yes) and he thinks I can pull it off. I also was chatting with a woman who teaches the class I teach but part time and that was enlightening as well--that is, she had some of the same issues I had, and I had some advice to give. And she's been teaching for years.

This is the most fascinating discovery for me: my classes have totally different personalities. My first period class digs auditory/visual learning and is fairly well sedated by the 7:30 meeting time. It is going to take a lot of thought and creativity on my part to make sure that each class gets the same kind of high quality education that our school expects.

But things are going well. More later. :)

1 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm glad you're back. I've missed you! I like blogging because it's like keeping in touch but with no telephone (yay). I am glad you like being an Evans girl, at least on some days. It is who you are, after all.