Wednesday, September 3, 2008

2008 is Great

This time last election season I was learning the conditional tense in Armenian and figuring out how to eat as little cafeteria food as possible. That is to say, I missed out on most of the action. This year I've been eating it up.
I hope to write more later but: I think that Palin was a genius. Let the press knock her (and they have), but I thought her speech tonight was spot-on. She held herself beautifully and did precisely what a good VP should: defend the nominee and knock the opposition. I cringed when the cowboy hats appeared toward the end of the thing, but I thought she was glorious. Also, the only possible way that McCain could even have a fighting chance.
So now I'm torn again. Sigh.

On being torn: point for adult me--I own Nyquil! It's in my bottom drawer. I can't tell you how happy I am.

7 comments:

Makayla Steiner said...

Watch the movie "8 Seconds" and Luke Perry will change your views on cowboy hats forever. ;)

I thought Palin was great too, and I think McCain is smarter for choosing her (for a number of reasons) than anyone is giving him credit for.

I'm rather torn myself. Last time it was easy - I felt that Bush over Kerry was no contest. This time it's going to be much harder to decide... sigh.

And I hope you get feeling better really soon!

Nichole said...

Palin has renewed my interest in politics for the moment. I am usually a little apathetic. I was decidedly a McCain supporter, but when she came on board, I felt like this was a duo and a platform I could believe in. Not to mention, the two main issues that the church has asked us to vote "no" on are two issues that she agrees with us on. :)

Rachel said...

I heard that the teleprompter stopped working halfway through the speech and she was winging it from memory. I love this woman: proud, strong, grounded by family. Palin 2016!!

Jeremy said...

I just wish she were LDS (already).

Day said...

two questions; Makayla, why do you think McCain is smarter for choosing her?

and, Ke, why don't you have a contact email on your profile?

Makayla Steiner said...

I think she appeals to conservatives who are wary about McCain. I think she is both an interesting compliment to him, I think her lack of experience (while not a great thing) also means that she isn't mired in the game that is politics which allows McCain and those working with him to help shape her into what he would like to see her become (keep in mind, I'm not talking about whether or not these are good or bad things, just things that work well for his ticket). She is female, and as annoying as it is that some people will vote solely on gender, that doesn't mean it wasn't a good move. I also think that her plug for parents of children with special needs will be helpful, because parents of those children desperately need an advocate in the white house. I guess in the end, I also thought it was a gutsy risk to take, and I liked that aspect of the whole thing too. All of this coming from someone who also very much likes Obama. But not Biden. :)

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

day--scared of blogstalkers is why. also, I tried to email you and Outlook popped up and there was no way around it. hmm.