Monday, September 1, 2008

Provo is where I live

I was on campus for a second today and it was lovely and I ran into a friend and spent money at the bookstore (and did not return the half-dozen library books that have been in my car for the last week because the BYU operator is not omniscient which was the very essence of disillusionment and the library was not open) and prepped myself for the onslaught of hate.

Since I was in elementary school I've had to deal with people bagging on my hometown. They call it the bubble, they knock the culture, they make fun of the moms and the dads and the kids and though I'm not going to do this as diplomatically as my much more mature sister, I want to get the message out where I can: if you don't like it leave.

Yeah yeah, you're going to school, yeah yeah, you want to get married just as desperately as the rest of us, yeah we are paying for the roads where you park and supporting the Thai food place when you're gone for the summer, and also my friends, are you really telling me that there aren't people you don't like in California?

Provo's great. It's beautiful and clean and people are nice and I'm tired of you dogging my town.

That's it. :)

5 comments:

Makayla Steiner said...

AMEN!

And do you know what I hate almost as much? People who dog "church culture."

I like Provo. I like BYU. I like the people in my ward and in my neighborhood, and even though some of them are really annoying, I figure I annoy some people too, so it all evens out in the end. There are wonderful people in Provo, and in Utah. I'm afraid I tire very, very quickly of people who have nothing better to do than complain about it.

Hm. Apparently this touches a nerve. LOL.

David Grover said...

Agreed! And Provo is the home of the earliest-letting-out-for-summer school any of us have ever heard of.

Which means it could be the future base of operations for my yearly professor/summerly bicycle tour guide* scheme. Tree streets, here I come!

"Awwwwh," says whiny SoCalifornian, "but I miss—no, I need the sand, and my tan is fading, and I really need some In'n'Out, and I forgot to bring my Dashbard Confessional CDs, and I can't sleep without the sound of waves, and all the girls in Cali are nicer, and all the people in Cali are better looking, and the air is sweeter in Cali, and I swear Cheerios taste better in Cali, and Cali-this, and Provo's not that, and on and on like a sissy baby..."

(* "bicycle tour guide" may be replaced by the words "Korean cookbook writer," "paper lantern creator," "Antarctic tour guide," "square-rigged tall ship sailor," etc.)

Contessa Elegante said...

Thank you! I've agreed with this for so long! Thank you for putting my thoughts into words...I started telling students who complained about Provo to go back to...(wherever they came from)...but it never went well, so I just try to keep my mouth shut! I'm glad you wrote something!

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

here's a huge AMEN from me too. provo is wonderful in so many ways. it's not perfect, but neither are all those places everyone claims are so flawless and amazing. poo on intolerance!

mlh said...

I love provo.

You should never dis anyone's mom or anyone's hometown. That's my theory.