Sunday, January 11, 2009

Awesome/ful

So I fully appreciated the commonality between awesome/awful when describing Twilight (the movie) to a friend the other day. Awful. Awesome. Breathtakingly bad. Anyway, it seemed an apt way to describe my week:

Awesome:
My birthday week was incredible.
S: Visiting with Liann and Skoticus. We made dinner. We chatted. Very lovely.
M: Babysitting Scout ("actually, my dad usually chases me before I go to bed"): she is incredibly charming and talented and adorable. We made cocoa, she fed me soap, we colored and wrote her name and chatted chatted chatted. Awesome.
T: Birthday. Great notes from friends. Dinner with Connie and Dave. I spent some time at OfficeMax. Snowy beautiful birthday. And Deb (roomie) made me birthday cake.
W: Spark with Dai. Didn't love it. It was ok (beet selection was excellent), but the waiter was kind of a jerk and there was waaay too much bacon on the menu. I may try again, but. Also, webcam makes its entry which means more face time with a certain far-away gentleman caller. Amazon comes through!
Th: Lunch with sisters. We did sushi and went shopping. Anyone else's idea of heaven? Fabulous.
F: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly with Nick. Plus a really great convo about vulnerability and agency in relationships. Lovely evening.
S: La Rondine with family. Anna Netrebko is doing Lucia di Lammermoor in about a month. (The Met at Cinemark) Such a good idea. Great convo with Amanda from NY (short). Sushi-making with Dai (bad rice=bad sushi, but more sashimi than I could shake a stick at. Mmmm).

Plus I just got back from Chicago and that great trip plus I get to teach Sunday School and give a talk. Heaven. Awesome.

Awful:
I don't want to talk about it.
Suffice it to say, school (we're in this weird mini-course period, the Winterim) is not going so hot. People are disappointed. Mistakes have been made. Kind of makes me want to puke a little.


But a great point from Elder Bednar via a good friend: There is no such thing as "being balanced." Everyone is bad at balance. You work on one aspect of your life and other things start slipping. You get to a point with that aspect and move to another, then another, trying to plug leaks as they come. I really like this model and it very much reflects my life. I've been waaay overdoing the professional thing and am taking a little time to work on my emotional life. And it feels soo great and I'm learning so much. This is important too.

So. My life=Twilight. Awesome/ful.

0 comments: