Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Kitsch

So I have a thing for kitsch. Religious kitsch mostly (ask me about altares), but I enjoyed a discussion about culinary kitsch (frog-eye salad, anyone?) with my sister, and can take all the dubbed-over sassy 50's housewives you can dish out.
Something else I've been thinking about: graveyard kitsch. I do see the irreverence in discussing this--these are monuments to loved ones that people put a lot of time and thought into. And I do love kitsch in a very self aware and self righteous sort of way. These things notwithstanding.

I first became interested in graveyard kitsch in Armenia. (It's a lot easier to call objects from another culture or time kitsch I think. And it isn't necessarily a pejorative term.) The tragedy, of course, is that the graveyard are huge. The Spitak earthquake took a really staggering toll on the population of Gyumri, where I served, and there are just miles of cemetery outside the city. Also, there are territorial conflicts still festering with Azerbaijan, etc. which particularly earlier in the decade also took many lives. I think that the Armenian interest in photography, as well as a demand in this area lead to gravestones like this:
I had enough taste as a missionary to not take pictures. (If you're reading this and are offended I'm so sorry.)

From closer to home, though, some from my trip to Parowan:(Cute, sort of, right? but still...)
And my favorite:There were a bunch of headstones with childrens' names carved into the back (which I'd never seen before), but I thought this was something else entirely. I think it's particularly interesting considering which superson was in charge, most likely, of commisioning the piece. Glorious.


Conclusion? And help me out here: deep feelings are often an impetus for kitsch. Why is that? (Something about kitsch being shorthand...hmm.)



(Um, this post left me feeling a little guilty/dirty/insensitive. Any validation you can provide that would help me feel otherwise would be greatly appreciated. Great stuff, right? Right?)

3 comments:

Kelsy said...

I do like the idea the kitsch is often the result of something deeply felt. I think most of us have little ability to express ourselves accurately or artistically so we resort to what we know. It's like how every time I had to write a story in elementary school, it was always based on something else (like BSB or the X-files, and no, I still can't write a good story). I guess kitsch works better as an inside joke(?) that's not accessible to others.

Also, those graves are ridiculous. Don't feel bad.

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

i've been struggling with this a lot lately. maybe it's not worth actual struggle, but i've been trying to overcome feelings that what i like is inherently of higher quality than what other people like...specifically with kitschy art. i have no answers...i was hoping you'd reach some brilliant conclusion for me :). i guess i just have to remember that even if someone is touched by something i would call kitsch, their feelings are just as valid as the inspiration i feel when i look at art i love. maybe?
that said, i'm sure my spirit would be offended if someone decorated my grave with a sparkly wreath. unless, of course, they called me their superdaughter.

Rachel said...

Taste is subjective and never "eternal truth." So I get agitated about deeming a certain kind of music, for example, as holy, celestial, or eternal. I don't think we have any idea what music is playing in heaven and to say otherwise is a bit presumptuous, no? Same thing for visual arts and literature. But a big part of creating these objects is to reach an audience in some way and successful art does just that. Audiences change and tastes change.

I think one must just accept the transitory nature of art AND kitsch. In 10 years all those little sparrows and owls will be really, really kitschy, but for now, just enjoy them.