Saturday, February 7, 2009

Dear Mr. Bale


I want to say first that I'm a huge fan. I've been following your career since Empire of the Sun, and I think you've done some brilliant things.

I wanted to congratulate you, too, on your recent successes. Thanks for your contribution to resurrecting the Batman franchise. I just saw the trailer for your new film and it looks very exciting. I'm glad you've found such great success (it was touch-and-go there for a second).

I've been talking with a friend, however, and we are both concerned that you haven't had a film that really takes advantage of your great talent in some time. We wonder if a softer, gentler film, something with that gives your poor gravelly voice a rest, might not round out your persona and give you a break from explosions.

A children's film, perhaps. Something literary. May we suggest Danny the Champion of the world. Something beautifully shot and quietly triumphant. You could play Danny's dad, display again that lovely accent of yours.

Anyway, a thought at least.

Best of luck, ke.

6 comments:

David Grover said...

Agreed.

Cabeza said...

Ooo! Danny the Champion of the World? Brilliant! Whose idea was that?

I agree that Bale needs to stop neglecting his wider range of acting skill.

alea said...

blast! I was going to write this today. However, I was going to have the graciousness to sign it with both our names...

Though, maybe you should include some tongue clicking en re his recent hissy fit? Or support?

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

P.S. Alea was the friend with whom I was having this conversation. It was at least 50% his idea.

P.P.S. I think that you'd be less stressed (i.e. less prone to exploding at people) if you were to start acting again. It seems to me that the sets of blockbusters are no place for the kind of re-centering contemplation that precludes enraged outbursts. Maybe something on-location in rural Britain would do you good.

(Alea--graciousness? Me?)

alea said...

I think England should include that in their promotional materials: Come for the history, stay for the restorative mental health benefits.

Meikel said...

I whole heartedly agree.