Thursday, December 3, 2009

Compulsory Heterosexuality and the Lesbian Existence

I haven't read much feminist theory to this point. I wanted to write about why.

Reason number one: I believe that traditional roles and traditional marriage are important and I always wonder how I'm going to rediscover this conclusion after working through feminist theory. I've done stuff like this before, but it's hard. This is more a matter of convenience and comfort I think.

Second, my mother (maybe because we didn't have money for expensive clothes? I've wondered) (maybe because the competition in our family was/is silent but deadly) taught me early and thoroughly to avoid trends. I didn't listen to the Backstreet Boys. I didn't play pogs. etc. Feminism felt inevitable for me, once I left Provo High where I was actually fairly outspoken, because I'm a smart liberal arts major with daddy issues. I didn't want to fall into cliche.

Third. I had/have this suspicion that being an articulate feminist would disqualify me for marriage somehow. Tragically--almost hilariously--ironic, right? This suspicion is founded on vocal disparagement of feminism by, um, 95 percent of the people in my life, many of them men whom I love and/or respect fervently. And so I'd be disqualified because as soon as I really embrace feminism 98 percent of the men I come in contact with (oh, BYU) suddenly hold views about me that I can't possibly tolerate. Also because I think it will take me a minute to justify marriage again, because I'm going to have to reevaluate its value and the way I imagine me working within it.
This is ironic, too, because I've always had feminist tendencies which have managed to alienate me from a lot of people, I just haven't had the codified theory to explain how or why or to make it seem worth it. (Feeling "condemned to an even more devastating outsiderhood than [my] outsiderhood as [a] woman" (165).)

Finally (I think, at least for now), I don't know if I can do it. Looking over the last sev--oh, my entire life really, I am kind of grossed out by how often the things that I do are decided by/because of men. I feel like a need to please and a privileging of the masculine (masculine ideas, ways of knowing/interacting, etc.) are so inherently a part of my personality that I'm not sure who I would be if I embraced myself as a(n empowered) woman. I look at the really smart, strong, women I know and wonder if I could be that (offense not intended to anyone here--smart and strong are separate, here, from any certain ideological system). And maybe I'm being an absolutist, maybe I could change some small things...


But, we're sort of skimming through feminism for theory. I read Adrienne Rich's article (the name of this post. Attention-grabbing, isn't it?) tonight and devoured it. Not all of it may be true, but so much of it feels true. And feels important. And matches with things I've supposed for ages. I recognize that theoretical traditions probably (our personal worldviews certainly) are formed by so much by our own personal experiences--we find the truth we want to find. And so I can see how feminist theory maybe doesn't appeal to everyone. And I know why (strengths and weaknesses both) it definitely appeals to me.

I'll probably write more about this later. Hopefully a lot. I think feminism is important for me right now--if only because if I keep believing the stuff I do about myself, about men and women, I don't know how I can keep going. Dr Muhlestein said the other day something about "there are some things that, once you think them, you can never not think them again" and I feel like that's where I am. Kind of glorious. Thanks Rich.

15 comments:

Rachel Helps said...

oh, hello there. I have a hilarious theory about feminism and polygamy I should tell you sometime.

daine said...

You've been missing out. Pogs were awesome.

Cathryn said...

I love your thoughts. Please keep posting. You're that voice in my head muttering about feminism under its breath that I've been ignoring for a long time.

Makayla Steiner said...

I never really decided if that comment of Dan's (which he said word for word when I took 452 as well) was meant as a warning or a celebration.

And I love that Adrienne Rich article. Aside from the lesbian continuum thing, which I'm pretty sure is not my cup of tea. But then again, like we talked about a few months ago, I'm pretty sure men aren't my cup of tea either.

And as much as I would like to respond in detail to this post, I won't. Mostly because we think a lot of the same things (although I DID listen to the Backstreet Boys AND play pogs -- for lunch money-- when I was ten), and anything I'd say differently would probably not be helpful. :(

Anyway. Great post. :)

Makayla Steiner said...

P.S. My days are all stringing together, of course I should have said, "Like we talked about a week or two ago" since the conversation was definitely NOT months ago... sigh.

Day said...

What a fantastic post.

From my Cambridge learner's dictionary--Feminism: The belief that women should have the same economic, social, and political rights as men. Feminist: Someone who supports feminism.

Jim/Blog said...

you really missed out with the pog trend.

Jim/Blog said...

also, I heard muhlestein say that once too. I think it was a warning. that I didn't heed. until it was too late. :/

Jim/Blog said...

drat, I just saw that daine said the same thing about pogs as me. oh well. amen daine.

Jen said...

Oh, ke, you so need to get away from BYU and meet other liberal arts types in a normal environment.

And also: http://tomatonation.com/?p=677.

And also also: let us ponder, for a moment, the marriage-worthiness of anyone whose opinion about *your* marriage-worthiness would be lessened by finding out that you believe women ought to be treated fairly. Hmm?

Randy Davis said...

I told the other guys at the meeting that if we allow women to read, this kind of thing might happen. But "Noooo" they said. "Who will read the Bible to the young'ns when you've gone to the market?" they said.

Well who's the paranoid hillbilly now?

Lindsey Hicks said...

Amen sister. I love reading your posts. You're such a talented writer.

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

So this was kind of lovely.

Jenn-
I know. Also: thanks pot, I didn't see that smudge there. (Love, kettle.)

Whistler-
Are you who I think you are (um, any thoughts on Lolita)?

Randy-
You're a goof. Will you hate me if I keep my hair short forever?

Randy Davis said...

Sure I'll still like you. I suspect that your boredom with the status quo will win the day eventually though. Rachel's always trying to get me to handwring about similar things and I've totally stopped investing emotionally in my responses because I know she'll change I her mind later...and I believe that women should always have the right to alway change their minds. (See that's the difference between we 95% and the 98%) The Goof.

Jen said...

Dear kettle,

Hee.

Pot