Wednesday, December 30, 2009

On Miracles

I've been getting more pragmatic about God for the last few of years (normal post-mission/growing up phase I think), but even more notably this last couple of months. I'm a closet mystic, but have come to the point that I can't imagine God as an omniscient micro-manager without feeling micromanaged myself, which drives me totally crazy (in both senses).

The step back has been mostly positive. Rather, it's been enormously positive, but simultaneously sort of negative, so I think the net result is, you know, mostly positive.

Anyway.

Two months ago a woman came to one of my classes to present on her foundation whose purpose is to get pro-LDS content on the internet. I was sort of instantly excited. The inital thought was to get my smart, interesting LDS pals to write short essay on "Why I'm a Mormon." It felt good, and they were in, and it was going to be a kind of content that doesn't have a huge presence. I pitched the idea to my brilliant lovely sister who liked it, who liked it, but proposed that we do something a little less text-heavy. Visual testimonies? It was brilliant and good and right. We recruited my pal Annie (and picked the brains of our talented family and friends) and Hopefully Mormon was born.

Already I've been inspired by the "Reasons for Hope" (what we're calling our entries) that have been sent in. Already we've received really positive feedback and lovely, personal stories. It launches for real on the 1st, but it's starting, already, to feel like it's bigger than us.

Rachel and Annie and I met last week to work through kinks and I felt beyond lucky to be working with them. We have the right skills and the right friends to start this thing. And I'm having a hard time convincing myself that this is a coincidence.

I'm humbled and kind of awed that Heavenly Father would let me be a part of this. I'm certain that this confluence of people and time and information is auspicious. It's enough to poke holes through my pragmatism.

So. Go check it out. Send in a Reason if you haven't--or another if you have :)--we need need your help to get through the first couple of months). It's a great idea, come get involved.

4 comments:

Makayla Steiner said...

I've never liked the idea of God as a micro-manager either, and frankly, I don't think that's His personality. I think He's much more of a guide.

As for miracles, I'm not saying that I don't believe in manna from heaven or walking on water or whatever, but sometimes I think the best miracles are those that happen constantly--the way things work themselves out you know? I suppose I've always thought of God as someone who sets up the POSSIBILITY of good things, and then steps aside to let us use our agency to make the good stuff happen, or not. Kind of like an alley-oop in basketball. He comes to the basket, tosses up the ball, but the other guy still has to jump and catch it, and make the shot. The working together with God for success idea is the one I like best. :)

Meikel said...

Kjerstin,
Your blog is my favorite. I read it religiously. Your writing is not only perfection but also inspiring to those of us who wish to express ourselves better. And I love Hopefully Mormon, I will be following that religiously as well. Pun intended!

TinTin said...

Amen to what Meikel said. I was going to say exactly that. Promise.

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

Makayla: alley-oop? LOVE it.

Meikel: you're so nice. And I need to come and see Hudson I think. Your pictures (and he) are/is beautiful.

TinTin: Heart.