Wednesday, February 10, 2010

On poetry. Agency in. Me and.

Do you like how I forgot to finish yesterday's post? I think there was supposed to be another sentence or two in there, and I forgot them.

The complainy part (it's short and there's pay-off): It's getting to the point when my days seems heavy--so much time to fill before I get to go to eat lunch, go to bed, etc. I should be filling days with, you know, putting together annotated bibliographies and charming professors into chairing my thesis. Or something. But instead, they drag. I'm avoiding. I hates it.

The (cryptic) resolve: a poem I wrote--

Grounds


I knew, when I closed the door,

(we’d just painted it the color of a hershey’s bar

and it stuck a little

and was built heavy anyway)

Turned the deadbolt,

Walked straight into the sun,

That the hummingbird I left in the shed

Wouldn’t last the weekend,

Not even the day, probably—

Panicked and shut up in the dark.

According to Wikipedia,

Hummingbirds are continuously hours away from starving to death,

Which is a thing I kind of knew already

(but the internet puts it better than I could).

This morning, gathering sand

and grass clippings

from the corners with a push broom

I found and swept its body (it dried out like a moth,

To almost nothing)

Into a metal dustpan.

I wasn’t surprised. But was—

What?

Felt like I should mourn

A little.

Before I sifted the lot into the trashbin.

It got caught, was the thing.

Our shed’s facing rolling doors—

The springloaded ones,

With chain-pulleys—

Were open all day:

I was driving the mule in and out,

Loading and unloading trash,

Loading hoses, the leaf blower, the air compressor

(we kept our pavilions clean)

It must’ve flown in and up,

Toward fluorescent lights that weren’t the sun,

Buzzing up near the cinder block ceiling.

I tried shooing with a broom,

Tried bright orange sprinkler flags near the doors

(this works with bigger birds)

Even climbed up the ladder

And interfered till I worried for the poor fellow’s heart.

(My sister once scared baby quail to death with a plastic grocery bag).

But birds are dumb,

And my day was through.

So I put the flags and ladder away,

Left a half-dozen wildflowers on a wheelbarrow

And turned out the lights.



I don't love this poem. Later it will be richer, poetically, and shorter, and the tone will be consistent. But the thing is, the criticism that cut deepest because I know it's true and haven't the slightest idea how to fix it, is that the speaker isn't implicated. S/he isn't an agent in this poem, doesn't act. My classmates wished the speaker would've killed the bird outright or something.


And. I've been thinking about poetry and memory: about memory as a defense mechanism (children often accused of lying develop this, no? A preternatural capacity for detail? As if remembering that my mom was wearing her green silk jumpsuit on the day I tripped on a seam in our marble floor and chipped my tooth would prove that I didn't feed the dog purple crayon...). About poetry as a repository for detail/memory. About poetry, then, being a defense, an alibi. Closed and furtive. Passive.


So. I take "I" out of my poems? I look back toward nature (all of my best poems were nature poems. Some biography poems were also good), focus more on observation of detail?

Plan my day, find a project, do the hard thing?



3 comments:

Scott Morris said...

I, for one, see nothing wrong with an observant only narrative. I don't think that every poem needs an action, or a character actively doing something. I don't think it is a problem in general that the guy/gal finds a bird and thinks about it.

What is poetry good for if not being a little bit of everything and nothing all in one?

SAC said...

I'm out of my depth here as I'm a wannabe novelist rather than poet, but for me, putting actual real use of agency in my main characters has been remarkably difficult. Also, so I read, this is true of many other wannabe novelists as well.

I tend to think that it's just a stage that a lot of us have to go through. I mean, yes, it stinks to have a non-active person when you want/need one; the first time it really hit me, I stopped working on that novel, period, and stopped novel-writing in general for, like, three years. I believe that it is both possible AND desirable to move on just a leeetle faster than I did.

Also, Skoticus really is right. It could be that your poem appears, on the surface, to your classmates, to be the sort that wants a little more activity, but it might actually want to be a different kind of poem than that altogether. Listening to one's writing, along with listening thoughtfully to others, is a skill I'm only just beginning to learn. (I myself am not convinced that more action is what it needs. Perhaps the comments hurt not because they are true but because they tap in to what you are afraid is true.)

Also, I definitely believe you about it being better, denser, richer, at a later date. It will be-- I believe-- like a soup or a sauce which has been simmered to that point of perfection such that, as you eat it, you have to stop reading the book you had been intending to read during lunch and just savor the delicious thing you had the patience to make.

kathy w. said...

The other commenters on this post have said some smart things that I definitely can't top. So, I'm going to say this: I like your poem. I hope you revise it so you like it, too. Keep writing.