Thursday, December 6, 2007

Elliot

I'm sitting next to my Christmas tree right now. I'm sitting next to my Christmas tree, chewing on a candy cane, and I just finished a paper and I'm listening to Elliot Smith.
There is something oddly festive about Elliot. Something to do with December. Like, Christmas is great because it's a bright spot in the cold. It's something to look forward to when the days are so dark and cloudy and awful. And you get to wallow in the dark and the cold, it's a part of enjoying the holiday properly. I think Elliot Smith captures the mood perfectly--these beautiful vocals and instrumentals and the undercurrent of sad. Festive.
Also, I fell in love with Elliot over a Christmas break a couple of winters ago. It was this terrible break: I was completely broke, working (intermitently) at the Gap, all of my roommates were out of town, and I was contemplating major life changes. I would come home to an empty apartment nights, put Elliot on repeat and curl into fetal position on the floor. What is it, that you're allowed to wallow in the dark places during Christmas break because there are Christmas lights everywhere and carolers and neices and such? Is it just me?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Comma song party. See me.

Amanda said...

Is that a Murano glass ornament on that tree? Purchased, presumably, while in Venice?