Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas!


Because of the German thing, Christmas is officially over for me. My sister and I went up to Sandy to celebrate with my sister and her family, my parents, and my grandma. So fun: lovely, excited nephews (who I wrestled with after dinner, love it), a nice dinner and good conversation. It was really sweet to see Randy surprise Rachel (brother-in-law and sister). Gifts are such a frivolous delight. The snow almost killed us on the way up (we drive a Ranger). Despite the salt in the bed for weight, we almost didn't make it up Wasatch Blvd.
My 9-year-old nephew confronted his dad yesterday: Is Santa Clause real? Randy gave it to him straight: no Santa, no Easter Bunny (who in their house eats Halloween candy that's left out), no Tooth Fairy. Poor Josh's worldview was deeply disrupted.
Do you remember believing? I don't know that I ever did earnestly. I was near the end and I think by that time the cat was pretty well out of the bag.
So I just finished taking ornaments off our tree and am enjoying the left-on lights in the dark. The tree is dead and wilting and looks delightfully Suessian. I will either read I am Legend which my sister advised not to do alone in the dark (it's awfully written, yet enthralling) or some Cormac McCarthy...delightful options.
So my Christmas message: I hope that all of you get to spend some good time with your family, that you get at least one gift that surprises and delights you, and that you enjoy whichever lovely traditional dish that your family always makes and eats. He lives, indeed. Merry Christmas! ke

1 comments:

Amanda said...

And Merry Christmas to you, too, friend.