Monday, April 7, 2008

Scholar's Lounge



So I did this grad-school prep thing last year through the English Dept. It's a pretty sweet gig--you and dozen of other motivated go-getters gather and strategize about how to get into good programs and talk about what makes a program good and there's much inside joking and inferiority feeling until people get accepted all over the place and we all realize the time was worth it.
And we got to hang out with Nick Mason and Matt Wickman about whom many a delightful anecdote has been told/fantasy has been woven (which knot did you tie, Nick?!).
This is a really long set up for a joke that only 5 of you are going to get anyway.
We were looking for a new name last year for this group last year and when Amanda, Lina, and I found this place in Rome we realized that it would perfectly describe the all of us.
And it's a pub (Irish).
And I think that there should be more pictures of Lina (smirking or not) in the public domain. So.

6 comments:

Katherine said...

Nice.

And I can't believe Lina allowed that picture to be taken, albeit grudgingly, judging by her expression.

Makayla Steiner said...

They did change the name. Sort of. Not officially I don't think. And since Nick isn't really involved this year (he was a "guest" twice though), I guess it's more like Matt is deciding to change it. PFS becomes FSP (Future Scholars Program). What do you think?

I'm rather fond of the pub idea myself. :)

Amanda said...

I have to say that "Scholar's Lounge" is far cooler than "Future Scholars Program."

I like this topic of random things we found in Rome. Remember when we were sitting on the Spanish Steps and realized we were right next to the building in which Keats died? And remember how I stumbled upon the Pantheon? and the French National Church with all the Caravaggio's? And how about that statue of the priest guy who brought Catholicism to Armenia? And remember that friend we made at St. Peter's and spent the rest of the day with?

And remember how Lina used to have luxuriously long and curly hair?

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

I know. What a good trip!

I still want to blog about signs-to-guide-your-life as found in Italy. I may yet do it.

Yes. I have half a dozen poem ideas about Lina's hair that she forbade me to ever use/speak.

Katherine said...

Please use/speak.

Jeremy said...

Perhaps this would be helpful, too:
http://feeds.theonion.com/~r/theonion/daily/~3/265781515/mead_releases_new_grad_school