Monday, June 16, 2008

There's a quote that goes...

Richard G. Scott's talk last conference was, kind of inexplicably, one of my favorites. He talked about overcoming the effects of abuse, and though the subject matter didn't relate directly to me, it did. A main tenet of his argument is that we can, through the atonement, overcome the effects of other people's bad choices, which applies to all of us.

A promise that he made that touched me particularly was regarding trust. He says that abuse often undermines trust in authority and that the lack of trust tends to isolate us from the people who love us most, "Recognize that if you have feelings that you are not loved by your Father in Heaven, you are being manipulated by Satan. Even when it may seem very difficult to pray, kneel and ask Father in Heaven to give you the capacity to trust Him and to feel His love for you. Ask to come to know that His Son can heal you through His merciful Atonement."

What struck me most was this idea of praying for the capacity to trust. I'm crap at this. As I've been working on building all kinds of relationships lately, this weakness has come up again and again, and I've been wondering lately about the trust-love connection. Or rather, I've come to see that there really can't be love without trust.

I don't know. This is all I have to say about this so far...

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I am regularly surprised at the usefulness of the atonement in everyday life. We often teach and understand it only as the process by which repentance is made possible. I think it is one of the greatest misunderstandings of the gospel.

Makayla Steiner said...

My London bishop gave a whole lesson based on this talk. My notes on it are on my London blog for May 25. (Was that the one you commented on? Can't remember...)

Anyway, there's much that could be said about it. I think the whole broken trust because you're a victim of somebody else's bad choices is one of the hardest things to get over, because sometimes you aren't even aware that you have issues with it.