Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Deflowered

I just gave my car keys to a man named Fabian.

What I think happens now is that he loads Mandy on a truck and takes her to Sandy to get the damage gauged. And hopefully fixed.

Because Monday I was on my way to Walmart to pick up a coke and hit a very cute Civic with a very friendly woman inside and I broke Mandy's face. Half the bumper is gone (I kept this piece mostly because the curled and torn license plate seems to be a dramatic reminder), the passenger side front panel is curled, the passenger door won't open, the hood is bent off its hinges (just a little), the headlight was hanging out by its nerves and the washer fluid resevoir was showing. Pitiful.

It could've been much worse. Ashley and her husband (who came down as soon as it happened) were super friendly, no one was hurt, I have insurance and some savings. Yeah I could use the money and yeah I wish the road wasn't suddenly so treacherous, but it was an accident. I sat in the car waiting (2 hours) for the policeman to show up replaying the situation. I was dumb. It was an accident.

Anyway. Chalk it up to experience I guess. It kind of seems like one of those things on the checklist of adulthood, right? Along with finding your own dentist (check) and buying a house. :)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Ouch! I'm so sorry. Your response to the accident is very adult. What are you doing without a car for now?

Katherine said...

Yikes. I didn't know this happened. I'm so very sorry. I've had my fair share of incidents and not handled them nearly so well as you seem to be.

I'm slowly making my way through the adulthood checklist: Last week I got my first solo car insurance policy. Yesterday I visited the new dentist I found by myself (we'll overlook the fact that I spent the entire appointment making a mental list of what I liked better about the dentist I've gone to since age 5). House-buying, on the other hand, is nowhere in the foreseeable future.