Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Pea Hen

I decided that since I don't have a door on my closet I should color-code my clothes, you know, make that side of the room that much more pleasant to look at? A design decision rather than construction oversight? What my closet looks like is this:

1.5 feet of neutrals (white-off white-brown-grey)
1 foot of color
2 feet of black

I shouldn't have been surprised. (I did choose grey as my dream color. I spent last summer convinced that I could live jeans and a black t-shirt only.) Tonight, though, I went to see a friend play at Velour. I'd just come back from the gym and slipped on some jeans and a cardigan. And I felt very underdressed.

The thing is, a couple of years ago, it wouldn't have given anyone pause, my jeans and beige cardigan. Remember when the Gap was in ascendancy and khakis were today's leggings? I was the hottest girl you knew.

Trend is not the issue even, though. I'm also at that weird straddling period that I love to talk so much about. I dress adorably for a teacher, just the right balance of professionalism and style, but my non-professional garb is pretty milk toast.

So I've brainstormed. Here are options.

a) Get an edgier hair style. (Yes I was considering buzzing my hair. No I will not. Probably. Not if I get to sleep here in the next little while at least.)

b) Buy some make up. Right now I own black eyeliner and red lipstick. Very dramatic, but I can only pull it off so often. (It still gives me pause, the make-up thing. Who are you fooling?)

c) Learn how to accessorize.

d) Buy that sweater in yellow. (Speaking of which, if anyone comes across a lemon yellow cardigan/sweater, will you let me know?)

e) Admit my pea hen status and marry this guy:

(Do you think Amy would mind?)






5 comments:

vantastic said...

its me and its you. united in cyber space. i will now become a subscriber of your blog. we can go shopping together. i love shopping.

Elisa said...

Gasp. Did you go see Jim's band? I meant to go but had to work on a paper. I'll bet you looked hot.

Cathryn said...

I was actually eyeing this guy http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=43069&pid=539396&scid=539396092 in green the other day, until I realized I already own one nearly identical. I've been on a green kick lately.

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

i vote for this one in citron yellow or light citron.... http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/sweaters/merino/PRDOVR~99412/99412.jsp

Emily Fox King said...

i think you always look great, if it's worth anything. don't forget as well that "just getting back from the gym" is hotter than anything clothes can do, i think.