Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Because I'm Pretty Sure

that Brian Doyle is less than a year from stardom on the Mormon circuit, and I'm big into being there first (hats off to those of you who were actually first, Pat, Amanda, and co.), I wanted to get my two cents in.

I was feeling dark and detached late last night and couldn't sleep despite my near fatal (definitely uncharming and frustrated) exhaustion during dinner earlier in the evening and was nosing around the open boxes that are serving as bookshelves in my half-packed room. I needed something of substance, but didn't want equivocation. Enough with making things more complicated. (Doctorow, Lethem, Rushdie, Wallace all out out out.) I found Leaping. Of course. I read the Credo from "Altar Boy." Lyrical. Clear. Earnest. It was perfect and I finished the essay and I fell asleep.

I've been finding comfort in Doyle more and more often. When I finished Leaping first (in a comfy chair at the Cheers house with a manic kitten on the loose) I was ambivalent. Despite the loveliness, my comfy cynical undergraduate self wasn't sure what to do with so much hyperbole. So many adjectives. But lately, amid the mad tectonics that have defined my 26th year, I want to weave Doyle's taut clear belief and wild fluid prose into a blanket and take a nap in it.

Here is another Credo (and some pretty lame pictures, Online Catholics). Enjoy!

2 comments:

Miss E said...

So remember the time you said you were getting Brian Doyle books for siblings for Christmas, and it is almost Christmas this year and I am still waiting for said book? I guess Amazon is really slacking on their delivery service. haha

Amanda said...

I'm thinking more and more that the best thing to do in life is surround yourself with people who fill their lives with joy and truly beautiful things, whether it be good art or good conversation. This has a lot to do with why I love spending so much time with you, Kjerstin. And one day I hope that we can sit in a circle with B. Doyle and just chat about life's details, or better yet, just sit around a table with him eating good food and swapping stories. Wouldn't that just be lovely?