Saturday, October 11, 2008

Bugged

A manager of mine at Ross Dress for Less (the ex-military guy with the white mustang convertible and penchant for X96's 10:00 mosh-pit) told me about a friend-of-a-friend who went completely nearly homocidally crazy. She went to a psychiatrist who had a simple explanation: she drank too much Diet Coke. Apparently the stuff will bug you out to the point of wanting to strangle people just to feel their Adam's apples bob.
I don't believe the manager of course, but the threat has stuck in the back of my brain like Crush by David Archuleta (have you seen the video? Not sure how I feel about it, but congrats David, on #1) on a bad day. It pokes its over-long little nose into my subconscious on days like this, when I'm just bugged. And today had such potential too. But my haircut makes me look like I'm 17 and I kept having to pansy out to child's pose ("do you feel like moderate or intense this morning?" Moderate of course, it's Saturday morning, are you crazy?) and got sucked in to 2 episodes of Americas's next top model interspersed with the Daily Show which, while it has lovely moments, is so angry and negative. Diet Coke for lunch. Bugged.

Positives are these: I enrolled, finally, in my 401k. Yes, actually, on the very day that the Dow was at its lowest in memory. My economist step-father (in that subversively positive/pragmatic way that economists are so great at) pointed out that it's a good time to invest, prices are low at least. Also, I'm going to DC this week for fall break and the timing couldn't be better.

Also: I wonder about TV. I heard this article on NPR about how advertisers, due to TiVo and other commercial-avoiding technologies, are getting more aggressive/skillful at product placement. They sited 30-Rock's Soy Joy episode (I thought it was a joke, too), where a character's hand gets stuck in a vending machine trying to grab a Soy Joy (bar?) as one of the more obvious/pointed examples. They also talked about reality tv. It's cheap (no writers, no sets) and lucrative (hey you models, drink this Diet Coke, would you?), and terrible TV (except when it's fabulous, like Dominque facing off Claire and two other girls 3 cycles later). So what's keeping the networks from doing all-reality all the time? Pertinent here, too, are shows like 30-Rock that are brilliant and critically acclaimed, but that don't get all that many viewers (because people are blind?).
So what happens to TV next? A theory: the appetite for sequels and for TV on DVD (commercial free an always on) combine to form a new medium: Independent Television. But it won't be television. Show made especially for DVD. We've already begun, sort of, with Dr. Terrible's Sing-along Blog. A friend of mine made a claim that this is the Golden Age of television, and what better way to keep that gold shiny than to separate TV from the commercial realm (could it survive?)?

6 comments:

Makayla Steiner said...

Being a fan of moderation in all things, I'm not 100% sold on the store manager's theory. But I do think Diet Coke (and any other caffeinated drink for that matter) can be addicting. But I think if you don't over-do it, well...

And I had to chuckle about the investing on the lowest Dow day... :) My cousin works for the stock exchange, and he says people just need to not panic, that it will eventually swing up again. So we're trying not to panic.

And have fun in DC! *is slightly jealous*

Amanda said...

I cannot WAIT for this weekend! You. Me. Katherine. DC. (And maybe some Diet Coke??) It's gonna change your life. :)

Rachel said...

Stop beating yourself up about the stupid Diet Coke. It's a beverage, not a mood-altering drug. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Don't you think you might be bugged because of your personal trainer and NOT the Diet Coke, because I would move in that order.

And...Have fun in DC.

Katherine said...

I might be completely crazy and I don't even drink that much Diet Coke. (I know what you're thinking--I've backed off on the Vault, okay?)

As for looking 17, just stand next to me and instantly feel better. I can't wait to see you.

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

(It was definitely the personal trainer who was making me mad. Damned perky blonde yogi.)

SAC said...

I was having so much trouble with the looking-young thing that I brought it up repeatedly to my roommates (one of whom had been excited to have a freshman roommate-- me-- when I moved in, I being 28 at the time). The best suggestion I got was to wear tailored- type jackets and collared shirts rather than t-shirts and sweaters. This worked for me, partly because it's a style I sort of lean towards anyway. I also cut my hair so that I have approximately your haircut, which seems to have helped in my case, so I'm not sure what to say about that one...